Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Calm Before the Storm...

Almost there, folks.

Base Spirits underwent a thorough nip-and-tuck by my hand, and then my editor Heather Sangster (http://www.strongfinish.ca/) took her virtual red pen to it. She called me mid-week, raving about what a great book it is, and that she'd barely had to touch it. Gotta say that felt good!

I was assigned my ISBNs just in time to send everything to my formatters this weekend. (http://www.52novels.com/) I should have all of my files for both e-book and print format ready to go on the last week of August. I think I found a local printer to do my paperbacks... I'll let you know how that goes. I'm starting to plan a kind of launch party, and have lots of people happy to offer help and space and goodies to give away. People in this community are very keen on creative projects. I like my town!

Stratford City Hall

So now I'm planning ahead-- looking into some cross-promotions, guest blogs and interviews to get the ball rolling. One of the very best things I've discovered so far in my decision to 'go indie' is that ALL of the other writers I've had the joy to interact with-- mostly unseen and unmet via the Web-- have been very supportive and generous. Suddenly, the writer's life does not feel so lonely and isolated. We are a tribe. We're all in this together, and it's not a competition. If I help you sell a book, or find a cover artist or an editor, or someone else asks me to guest blog or offers to set up an interview for me, we *all* win. Hell, if we just make a joke or cheer on one another's progress that is worth more than gold. I even got a personal note of encouragement from John Locke today (http://lethalbooks.com/) so that puts a spring in my step!

Overall, I'd have to say that my step has been noticeably springier since I decided to take the plunge.

Ironically, I got a rejection e-mail from a small UK publisher just as I received my ISBNs. I'd totally forgotten I'd submitted to them back in February! Instead of the usual reaction of a sick, plummeting feeling in my gut, I actually threw back my head and laughed. That is the LAST time I'll ever read the dreaded words: "Dear Ruth, Thank you for submitting Base Spirits for our consideration. We really enjoyed your novel, and while we recognize its merits and your skills as a writer, we are unable to offer you publication at this time... "

And you know? It felt great to reject the rejection. It simply doesn't matter now.

No comments:

Post a Comment